- 1 Tasks & Plans
- 1.1 Achieving UTI
- 1.2 Tasks
- 1.3 Screenshots
- 1.4 Old tasks
Tasks & Plans
C# code design was depending a lot on C++ code due to compatibility constraint with Torcs plugins.
However, with time, we finally ended up rewriting almost everything but the car simulation engine (which is the big part of the simuv2 plugin)
We then removed lot of C++ code, mainly track and robots related code, then their dependencies.
The C# code can now be redesigned properly (without constraints), starting with the track interface (see Universal Track Interface).
Killing some C++
- 1- We got rid of all C++ code not needed by simuv2.
- 1. we disabled legacy c++ robots, which in turn allowed to remove learning, robottools, plib (almost completely).
- 2. C# code that needed to access/modify t* struct now do it through an interface (called UTI).
- 3. We removed as much C++ code as possible.
- 2- Simplifying simuv2
- simuv2 no longer manages collisions, we got rid of solid.
The indicator is the number of lines of C++ compiled in libsimulator.so. Goal is 0 (one day maybe).
- 22/06, 05:00pm. 39223 lines
- 23/06, 03:00pm. 32984 lines (removed c++ drivers)
- 23/06, 03:30pm. 31697 lines (removed learning)
- 23/06, 05:00pm. 31565 lines (tried to remove robottools... but track have a dependency over it. simplifying what can be)
- 24/06, 05:00pm. 30817 lines (removed gnulinux)
- 24/06, 06:00pm. 30116 lines (removed simuv2 collision handling code, removed simuv2's dependency over the track format)
- 26/06, 11:00am. 24528 lines (removed track, finished to remove robottools)
- 26/06, 12:30pm. 21975 lines (removed most of plib. cleaning some commented lines)
- 26/06, 07:30pm. 18289 lines (removed solid and portability)
- 26/06, 10:00pm. 17949 lines (removed lot of raceman, cleaning)
Almost half the remaining C++ code is related to parsing XML and storing/managing GfParm (which is a list of Metadata -- or Dictionnary -- done in C++).
A quick grep approximates that SimuV2 retrieves about 103 static informations about the car from its GfParm files. If we create a structure in which we store those informations, we can then load them from C# (using far-far less code).
When all those 103 informations are loaded from C#, we can drop the txml and tgf c++ modules. Only simuv2 and math will remain (and I guess we then can't go any further except by porting simuv2 to C#).
Torcs' data structures and C#
OpenRacing is still relying on a few data structures which are defined in C++, they are used to keep synchronized simulation state between C++ and C#.
However, the C++ code is now absolutely free of informations about the track. So, concerning UTI's work, we have nothing to change on that part.
On the process to remove track from C++, I needed to add a minimal UTI interface in order to be able to run the simulation.
AlphaUTI is an extremely minimalist implementation of it. It gives a single starting position (0,0,2) and point its path to the street-1 folder so Ode and Ogre load their data from there.
We now need to transfer some intelligence from Ode/Ogre to UTI (so an UTI is not just a folder!).
Q1: Should the robot decide the features of his car?
It seems more natural to me to build a car then put a driver into the car (instead of the opposite). Maybe some AI are very specific to drive a particular car, let's forget about that first: we simplify!
- Automatic car 3D model conversion. (can be called "automatic AC3D to Ogre conversion").
- Automatic track 3D model conversion from Torcs-NG's data (starting from trackgen). Should warn about unsupported geometry and such.
- Load sharpy's driver, make it run a car : Keith will do
- Make a GUI designed for our needs (load a track, evaluate drivers, run simulation in background, ...) : WIP
- Work on the installation process
Bellow, you'll find some screenshots showing work in progress of Ogre renderer and GUIs.
Make a camera follows a car (from behind): DONE.
Load a complete track using C++ plugin: DONE.
Initialize OgreDotNet graphic plugins to display the track: DONE.
Load cars / physics engine: DONE.
Load a C++ driver / create C# interface: DONE.
Implement user controlled vehicle: DONE.
Port to MyGUI's C# interface: DONE.
Merging Imre's work
- Identify hardcoded stuffs : WIP
- openracing.in -> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/mulder/projects/openracing/cleaned/src/libsimulator/.libs
- src/ode/OdeLoader.cs -> mCtx.RegisterResourcePath("/home/mulder/projects/trunk/track/Barcelona/");
- my_config doesn't have to be in the repository
- src/core/RaceManager.cs -> InitStartingGrid
- src/graphic/OScene.cs -> mCtx.RegisterResourcePath("/home/mulder/projects/openracing/cleaned/data/tracks/road/icy");
- src/ode/OdeMesh.cs -> XmlTextReader reader = new XmlTextReader("/home/mulder/projects/openracing/cleaned/data/tracks/road/icy/Mesh.mesh.xml");
- Full merge